Saturday, December 12, 2015

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife."

In the Old Testament it specifically instructs a married man to let go of his parents and cleave to his wife. I am so grateful for this council.
My husband comes from a home with divorced parents. His father left when he was only a young boy. My husband and his mother grew to be very close and developed a strong bond. While my husband and I were dating, I could clearly see that he held a special place in his heart for his mother. He did many things for her that he had no obligation to do, just out of the kindness of his heart. I have to admit that I was a little jealous of their relationship. As we were engaged I was concerned that he would have a difficult time following the council stated in the Old Testament. I was concerned that he would put the needs of his mother before mine. As I brought these concerns to him, he reassured me that he knew very well my place and his mothers place once we were to be married.
I am very happy to say that my husband has "left his mother, and has cleaved unto his wife." And it has done nothing but strengthen our marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment